Monday, March 25, 2013

Good Friday Week Thoughts


On Sunday, John’s sermon pointed out two very important passages as we think about Jesus, His Death, Resurrection, Ascension, Easter, and all of the other thoughts that come with this time of the year.  John pointed out Psalm 22 that is a prophecy from King David about Jesus.  It is amazing and truly something of God that His Word weaves together so perfectly!  David looked and saw in faith through God what would happen to his descendant… Jesus Christ.  John also pointed out the simple phrase from Luke 23:33, “There they crucified Him.” 

Did you know that Psalm 22 is not the only psalm to prophesy about Jesus?  Psalm 22 is the biggie… but make no mistake, Jesus was no accident and He was always the plan of God… even from Genesis 1:1.  The Psalms are a book of the Bible that relate directly to Easter.

First, there is a Psalm that is quoted by Jesus while enduring Easter Week and it must have been near and dear to His heart:
Psalm 31:5  Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O LORD, the God of truth.
                                                                                                                                    
Second, there are several Psalms which describe some things that happened to Jesus during His last week of ministry:
Psalm 34:19-20  A righteous man may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all;  he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken.
Psalm 41:9  Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me.
Psalm 69:20-21  Scorn has broken my heart and has left me helpless; I looked for sympathy, but there was none, for comforters, but I found none.  They put gall in my food and gave me vinegar for my thirst.

Perhaps my favorite Psalm that points to Easter (other than Psalm 22) is Psalm 132 which speaks to us about Jesus Christ coming from the lineage of King David.  Jesus was the promised One!  David, in faith, was able to see that Jesus was coming and would be the “anointed one” (by the way… “Christ” means “anointed one”) for all people.

Psalm 132:11-18  The LORD swore an oath to David, a sure oath that he will not revoke: "One of your own descendants I will place on your throne--  12 if your sons keep my covenant and the statutes I teach them, then their sons will sit on your throne for ever and ever."  13 For the LORD has chosen Zion, he has desired it for his dwelling:  14 "This is my resting place for ever and ever; here I will sit enthroned, for I have desired it--  15 I will bless her with abundant provisions; her poor will I satisfy with food.  16 I will clothe her priests with salvation, and her saints will ever sing for joy.  17 "Here I will make a horn grow for David and set up a lamp for my anointed one.  18 I will clothe his enemies with shame, but the crown on his head will be resplendent."

What do you see in Psalm 132 about Jesus?
What sense do you get about the Messiah Jesus?
What promises did David receive about Jesus the Promised One?

Troy Borst
Christian Education Minister


**Blogs from The Story will resume on April 8 when we jump back into Chapter 12.**

No comments:

Post a Comment