Monday, August 5, 2013

The 7 Experiment: Theology of Spending: Consumology

My wife has been going through a Bible Study called The 7 Experiment by Jen Hatmaker which has really engaged many of the ladies of my church.  The next part of this particular study is all about excessive spending.   What does the Bible actually say about spending?  Principles of Scripture should be a key for us in any subject we tackle in the Christian faith.  Our perspectives and attitudes should be informed by Scripture and then we need to align ourselves with it where we differ from God.

THEOLOGY OF SPENDING (CONSUMOLOGY or perhaps PRODIGOLOGY)

To be honest, I don’t remember my wife and I talking about this particular emphasis in the study.
  I remember her vaguely speaking about only spending money in certain places, but other than that, I don’t recall us chatting out this chapter.  For all the other blogs, I have conversations we have had to fall back on and think about.  We just didn’t talk about this chapter.  Perhaps we did not discuss it because money is a particular stressor for me and a trigger for unfavorable cuts to our family lifestyle.  We have a division of labor in our household… she pays the bills.  That is her stress to deal with and she takes that on out of love for me.  My stress comes when I realize we are behind or I don’t make enough money… but she shields me from that most of the time.

Hmmm… thinking about spending.

While I am doubtful of the academic sturdiness of the presentation I will reference, it does give some percentages and statistics that have good sources at the end of the presentation
52% of Americans spend more than they earn, out of which 21% regularly have monthly expenses in excess of their income to which only 13.5% adjust their finances to get back on track.  I’m not exactly sure what all the percentages mean, but it sounds like we are spending more than we earn and we aren’t fixing it.
Why do we overspend?
* We don’t set monthly savings goals or we ignore them.
* Credit is easily accessed on so many things
* Cash is readily accessible.
* Credit Cards are misused.
* We give into temptation when we want something.
* We spend to feel good.
* We can’t say no to a sale or a “good deal.”
* We use spending and money to prove our self worth.
* We spend to feel powerful.
* We spend to keep ourselves at the same level of comfort to which we have become accustomed.
* We spend to look like everyone else.

So, does the Bible talk about spending money? 
Some key words in looking at spending money: spend(ing) (48x), money (123x), moneylender (2x), debt(s)(or)(ors) (21x), cash (0x), borrow (5x), buy (54x), coin(s) (13x), gold (455x), silver (343x), rich(es) (141x). 

The Bible spends a lot of time talking about money (pun intended).  Why?  Perhaps because I am not the only one for whom money is a stressor!  I’d like to look at one passage in particular (not that there are any shortages) to garner some Biblical/Godly perspectives about spending.

Luke 12:13-21
“Someone in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me."  14 Jesus replied, "Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?"  15 Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."  16 And he told them this parable: "The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop.  17 He thought to himself, 'What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.'  18 "Then he said, 'This is what I'll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.  19 And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry."'  20 "But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?'  21 "This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God."

I believe this passage is important for several reasons.  First, Jesus Christ Himself is speaking.  That to me puts it above other Scriptures even though in my head I know that all Scripture is God breathed (2 Timothy 3:16).  Because it is in “red” makes it seem more important.  Second, I think it summarizes many of the other Scriptures command and speak of in other books.

We find first that Jesus is concerned with greed (verse 15).  Spending for the abundance of possessions (second part of verse 15) is Jesus’ definition of the word “greed.”  I think I will stick with the Son of God’s definition on any word He chooses to speak about.  Noting the context of the words in verse 15, greed is bad.  Watch out + ! + guard + does not + the parable that follows in verses 16-21 = greed is bad.

We find secondly that “being rich towards God” is the goal at the end of the passage (verse 21).  I know that leaves a lot of unanswered questions in between:
Is it greedy to want to save up? [not necessarily…]
Is it okay to buy bigger and better? [not necessarily…]
Is greed and necessary motivator to be rich? [not necessarily…]
It is okay to prepare financially for yourself? [not necessarily…]

The reason that MY (stress the MY on that one) answers to each of those questions is “not necessarily” (and I am most definitely a yes or no kind of person!) is because the Godly perspective about spending has everything to do with motivation and the desires of your heart.  Why did the man wish to build bigger barns in verse 17?  The answer was, for himself, because he never once stopped to ask God His opinion.  Why did the man wish to save up for later in verse 19?  The answer was, for himself!  Everything in the parable was for himself!  Even the argument that spawned the parable in verse 13 had to do with the self.

So, what is a proper consumology?  The Godly perspective that this passage from Luke highlights and what I believe other Scriptures also tell us is that spending and acquiring and planning and desiring materials things only for ourselves is just flat wrong.  Selfishness is a sin.  Greed is a sin.  Spending everything you own on yourself and thinking you deserve it is a lie from the pit of Hell.  We must be “rich towards God” (verse 21).

Action Steps on How to Be Rich towards God:
1.  Make sure you tithe a minimum of 10% of your income to the Church.
2.  Save a certain amount of money in your budget so you can give it away on purpose as God leads.
3.  Before you spend money on yourself (a luxury), pray diligently to see if God wants you to spend that money somewhere else, for someone else, to meet some holy need.
4.  Do a check of your expenditures and mark down (being honest): *needs, *self, *others
5.  Spend the time to watch THIS VIDEO (cause its awesome)

Troy Borst
Associate Minister

Up next…


No comments:

Post a Comment