Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sabbath

What is okay to do on the Sabbath?

According to www.crazylaws.com, old laws that are still on the books…
In Alabama , it is against the law to play dominoes on Sunday.
In Alabama and Massachusetts , hunting is not allowed on Sunday.
In Little Rock , Arkansas it is illegal to walk one’s cow down Main Street after 1pm on Sunday.
In Colorado , Indiana , Maine , New Jersey , Pennsylvania , & Wisconsin car dealers may not sell cars on Sunday.
In Denver , Colorado it is illegal to drive a black car on Sundays.
In Florida , it is against the law for unmarried women to parachute on Sundays.
In Georgia , it is illegal to cut off a chicken’s head on Sunday.
In Massachusetts , it is illegal to deliver diapers on Sunday regardless of emergencies
In Minnesota , hamburgers may not be eaten on Sundays.
In New Hampshire , on Sundays citizens may not relieve themselves while looking up.
In Rhode Island , it is illegal to sell a toothbrush and toothpaste to the same person on a Sunday.

So, what is acceptable to do on Sundays?  Is there a rule book about what one can do or not do?  Can I go out to eat?  Should I work?  Can I work on the car or wash it and wax it?  Can I mow the yard?  What about watching sports?  Can I do my hobby?  Doing laundry and cleaning… is that okay?  What about playing sports?

If we look at the Scriptures, it is certainly permissible to worship (Exodus 20:8).  It certainly is permissible to do good (Matthew 12:12).  What about the rest of it?  What do you think?

Troy Borst
Christian Education Minister

1 comment:

  1. I have a father who believes in Saturday Sabbath and follows the Jewish laws about sabbath and work and eating laws. I myself kind of lean towards Saturday sabbaths for my own reasons but wow the discussions and arguments I have had with him on whats"WORK" and not work in their eyes is amazing. My dad was raised catholic went to spirit filled churches raising his children and now is kind of like a messianic jew in his practices and worship.

    ReplyDelete