Thursday, May 24, 2012

Kristian's Kaleidoscope: Surviving Week One (Installment 2)

            I did it! I survived me first week here as NBCC’s intern. Though it was all so new and a lot to take in, my first week was great. All ready I have learned loads about ministry from this internship. I loved meeting all the great people here. Everyone was so nice and welcoming, I feel like I am in one big family. I just want to say “thank you NBCC for making me feel so welcomed.”  I truly feel like I am part of the body of Christ while here.
            My first week started out fast. First, Troy gave me a rundown of the church, and I have to say this place is beautiful. There is a lot of room for growth and a relevant feel here. However, my favorite part of the church has to be the big blue boat outside.
After I got the grand tour, it was time to help out with the food pantry. If you didn’t know, several beautiful women come here every Monday morning and create food bags for the needy. Then on Tuesday, we hand the food out to anyone who shows up. Having worked with Knoxville’s Lost Sheep ministry, a non-profit organization for the needy, I felt right at home talking to the different people who came in and handing out food.
One of the mandatory duties of my internship is to attend church meetings and on Tuesday I had my first staff meeting. I learned staff meetings can be done in 20 minutes, and you get most everything accomplished in the first 15 of those minutes. However what would be the fun of that? The staff meeting was well structured and informational but with a comedic undertone. I learned from the meeting that a church must be organized and always looking ahead but ready to deal with adversity with a sense of humor.
For my internship, I was asked to start a Bible reading plan. If you don’t know what that is, it is a scheduled outline for day-to-day readings that will take you through the Bible. I would encourage others to try a Bible reading plan. Every plan is different some are linear going start to finish in chronological order. Others are comprehensive, and some biographical. You can choose any plan for a set number of days or months, as you like. (I chose a biographical plan). They are a great way to expand your knowledge of the Bible while growing deeper with Christ.
I was also privileged Wednesday to attend Troy’s class. I would encourage those who have not yet been or who are thinking of coming to a Wednesday night class, to try out Troy’s. Right now, we are in a series called “I tell you the truth” which follows Jesus through the gospels. Troy also teaches C2, a college and career class for young adults. C2 is more youth engaged and for young couples. I look forward to teaching both on Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings. I will start the week of the 27, so be ready to learn, and know that God is going to do great things this summer!
The last thing I did my first week was probably the greatest. I had the honor of accompanying John Meisenbach on a hospital visit. John is such a well of knowledge; I am blessed to have him and Troy teaching me ministry. While at the hospital, John taught me the do’s and don’ts of a clergymen, being able to be light to someone in a dark place is what ministry is all about. I have learned so much just from my first week. God has truly blessed all the staff of NBCC with vast wisdom. I look forward to my continued mentoring, and progress here.

Kristian
Ministry Intern

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11 

No comments:

Post a Comment