Monday, July 23, 2012

The Golden Years



It all began at a very early age, I think somewhere between 9 and 11. That was when I took my first job selling newspaper subscriptions, then in the fifth grade I bought produce from my neighbor who had a farm, taking the produce in my wagon around the neighborhood and reselling the vegetables and fruit.  In May of 2007 it began to come to fruition.  That is when I turned 59 ½ and the government let me do with my 401k investments as I wanted without penalty.  Then in November of 2009 I hit the magic number of 62 and became SSE (social security eligible).  I put in my paperwork to retire on June 30th 2010, choosing this date since the company I worked for was changing, reducing and just messing with our retirement money on July 1st 2010.  Had I known that I was/am this good at doing nothing, I would have planned my retirement much, much sooner.  I say that in jest, as it now seems that I need to return to work just to take a break.  I never had this much going on when I was working and now do not know how I find the time to keep it all going.  God has blessed Kate and I with enough of what we need that we can do many of the things we want to do and because He has blessed Kate with a good paying job that we Pray she can keep till she can retire in April of 2013.  I would urge anyone who reads this (regardless of your age) to attend one of Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University courses, I promise you that it will make a great positive difference in your financial situation and the way you handle your finances.  Just as when I worked Monday through Friday and took Saturday off and used Sunday to worship our Lord, I still do the same thing in retirement with a few exceptions.  I now cut some of my neighbors yards during the grass growing season to pick up some extra spending cash, my grand kids spend much of the summer with us and I take them to the water park Monday through Friday (adventure island has a summer pass that is $50.00 and the kids can go every Monday through Friday), we still go to the airport and park on the top level (first hour is free) and watch the planes takeoff and land, riding the long term trolley as a small train going nowhere and then go to the third floor and have breakfast and visit some of the shops.  One of the most special things I get to do now (again, I would urge any and all of you who can, to do this as often as you can) is work for the Church on Tuesday afternoon.  While the Church staff is in their weekly meeting, I get to update some of the reports, prepare drive-in service bulletins, answer the phones and anything else Shirley will let me do.  My Prayer every Tuesday morning is that my work at and for the Church will make my Lord smile (Having done some stupid things before that is not a far reach if He is watching me).  I think sometimes when it sounds like thunder outside, it is really the Lord laughing at me or something I did or said.  I am also able to devote more time to our Missions Program at NBCC and to more easily go when we have trips planned.  One of the more personal things I am able to do in my retirement is read those books I was not able to during my working years.  One last story for you about my retirement.  We do not always have a weekly income  and for decades I have been accustomed to tithing on a weekly basis, not too long back I had no income for the week and could not bear the thought of not writing a tithe check, so I wrote one (my concern was for breaking my habit, since we had plenty of money in the bank to cover the check) and put it in my envelope and went to Church as usual to do my 8:00 AM greeting and pass out bulletins.  In walked two of my favorite people and he handed me a CASH for three times the amount of my tithe to help me pay for the missions trip I was going on.  AIN’T GOD GREAT?!!!!! 

John Hartley
elder 

1 comment:

  1. You're booth an example of true Godly servants. may God continue blessing u. Luv u

    ReplyDelete